One of the best planned towns in Palm Beach County, Florida, North Palm Beach is famous for the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course. Spread over an area of around 5.78 square miles, the town has 3.60 square miles of land with the rest of the area accounting for water bodies.
The population of the town is around 13,000 as of 2016 with a predominantly white population. The town came into existence in 1956 with a gentleman named John D MacArthur buying around 2600 acres of land in this area for a princely sum of $ 5.5 million in 1954. Full of mangrove and swamps, the village started seeing large scale development somewhere around the same time. The widening of the Lighthouse Drive connecting Old Dixie Highway and US 1 worked as a catalyst for quick development of the area. People started moving into this township somewhere around 1958-59.
This village won the award for being the best planned community of 1956 from the National Association of Home Builders. There are a lot of facilities available for its residents such as The Twin City Mall housing various departmental stores such as Sears, Jeffersons, GC Murphy, and Karmelcorn. You have a few cinema theaters as well. The other main attraction of the town is the Sir Harry Oakes’ castle. The mall was marked for refurbishing and renovation in 1990. Today, a mid-sized strip mall anchored by Publix stands in its place. One of the principal places of interest is the John MacArthur Beach State Park.
This town is the home of the arguably the greatest golfer of all time, Jack Nicklaus. He designed the village’s golf course in 2006. There is another golf connection to this town as this is also the home to Swedish model Elin Nordegren, ex-wife of champion golfer Tiger Woods.